Sunday, August 5, 2007

The first few days







Hey, so Thi and Sarah suggested I do a blog to describe moving to and living in Berkeley.

For those of you who haven't heard, moving up was a bit hellish. We moved on Friday -- Alison was teaching until Wednesday and I turned in my dissertation on Monday. But the real problem was that we had no idea how much stuff we had left to pack. We ended up not being able to fit it all into the truck.

I begin with two pictures of my shirt from the day of the move. I don't know if I have seen a sweatier shirt. There are strata of salt.

Saturday was nice, though, because I went to pick up my amp and preamp from Matt at Pitch Perfect audio (www.pitchperfecaudio.com) and then later in the day he came over and helped me set up my equipment. The sound system is amazing now. I've been really enjoying sitting and listening to music for hours on end. I've had some chances to just sit and do nothing but listen. Unfortunately, my current speaker cable isn't long enough so we have the equipment rack parked right in the middle of the fireplace. That'll change once I spring for some expensive speaker wire to go with the expensive equipment...

When we moved up the first 70% part of our stuff, the apartment looked great -- much better than with the old tenants' stuff in it. Now... it is a bit overwhelming with all of the boxes. But we are slowly making headway. The living room is in pretty good shape because it needed to be to set up the stereo. We have been tackling the kitchen next. It is looking better than when these photos were taken but it is still a bit overwhelming.

Alright, well I am heading in to the office for the first time, but I'll post more later...

No comments: